Wednesday, September 26, 2007


On getting older . . .

So I turned 32 this week. Getting older hasn't really bothered me too much, although I find myself thinking I am 28 all the time. Certainly, I have never felt that my age has placed me in a "historical context" however, with the release of American Girl Doll's latest historical character, I have had to reevaluate this (in our home, history is understood in terms of which American Girl doll shares a similar historical reference -isn't that how everyone else understands history???)

To give an example, I can explain to the E's that my grandparents are were young during the the Great Depression (the era, AG's famous "Kit Kitridge" character is from) . No problem here, but this week the latest American Girl catalog arrived and they had released their latest "historical character" Julie Albright. So what is the problem??? Julie was a little girl in the 70's, yes, 1970's. But wait - I was a little girl in the 70's (granted a little younger than Julie's character - but I spent a good 5 years in that decade). I am not a historical character! Am I? Well I know this is a silly concern, and of course, I realize AG's marketing experts were trying to capitalize on parents nostalgia for their childhood. I just think it is a little premature to have a "historical character" from my childhood!

In protest, Julie Albright, will not be coming to the Moulton home anytime soon!

I don't mind birthdays at all, but they do remind me that my girls are growing up, and that does make my heart sink a bit! If I could just keep them small for a few more years before letting them grow another inch! The bitter sweetness of motherhood!

No comments: